Wednesday, May 4, 2011

 We finally did it
we bought Sam a cell phone

I am only a little excited about this
but this kid ... he is over the moon!

 
I get the reasons that he "needs" it

he is starting to be away from me a little more and more
 each day
walking to school by himself
riding his bike to his friends house
meeting friends at the park

btw, I can hardly handle any of this
but I truly realize how important this bit of freedom is for
my independent, growing, confident child
... I do

it's just tough on a mom, a little tougher than I expected
I'm struggling with the fact that this is the last year of elementary school
where I know his teachers, his friends, their parents
he will be in a new school next year
 a middle school student
with new friends, new responsibilities, new opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited too
excited to see him make new friends and have these new experiences
and for him to grow into the young man that Brad and I dream of him becoming.

It just all feels like it is happening faster, all of a sudden
and for me ...
.
it seems to be starting with this phone ...


this little piece of freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment